The Himalayan Foundation Nepal (HFN) organizes church mission programs
for international volunteers to help support and raise awareness of the Nepalese Christian community. There are currently many churches in Nepal which HFN works in partnership with in districts such as SindhuPalscuk, Makawonpur and Chitwan. These places are all potential locations for mission operations
Christianity is still a new religion in Nepal. Until January 15, 2007, Nepal's constitution stated that the country was a Hindu Kingdom. Under the Interim Constitution proposed thereafter, Nepal has converted its status to a secular state, which is a big step towards religious freedom and tolerance. Unfortunately, there is still much persecution towards minority religious groups, like Christianity, which face problems of harassment and social discrimination from society at large. The goal of this program is to spread the love of Jesus to local communities through evangelism and community support-oriented activities. Individual volunteers (as well as larger groups) can set up volunteer programs with local churches and their missionary outreach programs, using each volunteer's individual experience and passion to contribute to the ever expanding Christian community in Nepal. We encourrage you to visit Mission in Church to learn more about Christian ministry in Nepal.
Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age. Matthew 28:19-20
You will need to submit a resume showing your preparation and purpose for church mission work in Nepal
. Please contact us for further details.
HFN invites volunteers, international mission groups, and youth groups to come and make a difference. Groups can get involved in any of the following areas:
- Leadership Training and Development
- House Visitations
- Children's Ministries
- Women's Ministries
- Prayer for the Sick
- Literature Evangelism
- Cottage Meetings
- Participating in the ministry of local churches
- Teaching Sunday School to youth groups
- Participating in music fellowship during church services
- Church Planting
- Working to improve conditions in the local community through home construction, environmental health education, etc.
- Mission groups and volunteers are also encouraged to consider combining parts of the other HFN programs, such as teaching English and the Orphanage program
Volunteers must be:
- At least 16 years or older at the start of the program
- Have an open mind and flexible attitude towards working in new and different environments
- Prepared to do some manual work in their placement
What we provide?
Airport Pickup/ Transportation:
Volunteers are picked up from the Nepal International Airport in Kathmandu by the manager or a representative of HFN
- Those volunteers who will already be in Kathmandu will be met by a staff member at a decided meeting point
Orientation Week in Kathmandu and Language:
are provided with an orientation by our manager covering topics such as Safety and Security, Transportation, Nepali
Language, Nepali Local Culture and a two day guided city tour around Kathmandu Valley. All these activities will be done during the period of stay.
Accommodation is provided at supervision while you work in a volunteer program
. You will stay either Our own orphanage Home
with a host family, in a project
hostel or in a Home base. Staying at a Home base provides an authentic local Nepali family
are provided with their own room and bathroom which is usually shared with other volunteers
, though a private room can be provided by previous arrangement. Staying with a host family
will provide you with a wonderful opportunity
to experience Nepali lifestyle and live with a warm and welcoming family.
You can even learn to cook Nepali food! While volunteering, our staff will visit you every two weeks. During this visit we will check on your progress and make sure you're satisfied and happy.
Volunteers are provided with two meals a day and a mid-day snack sourced from local ingredients. Meals are served at the orphanage home
and include rice, curry and vegetables (a traditional Nepali dish known as (Dhal,Bhat, Tarkali and Achar).
The project placements are located all over Nepal according to your interests and chosen program
. common locations include: Kathmandu, Chitwan, Pokhara, Hetauda and Nawlprasi. Volunteer placements
are located within 2-4 km of the accommodation and volunteers
can use local transportation such as mini bus or taxis for their commuting.
24 hour support is provided by our staff members. Once you arrive in the country you will be provided with the contact details of our local coordinator who you will be able to contact at anytime during your stay.
After we receive a deposit, all participants are provided with a pre-departure information booklet by e-mail which will contain all the vital information about your program
such as: details of the country, project location, Visa requirements, Immunization requirements, details of accommodation, contact information and suggested packing list.
Fees and Expences:
HFN strives to keep costs low while providing you with a professional service that fully prepares you for volunteering in Nepal
. Compare our prices and services to other organizations
|Four weeks (a month)
|For each additional month
What are you paying for?
The program fee is used to provide both a professional and welcoming volunteer program and helps fund our orphanage
and the HFN sponsor program for underprivileged children in the community.
Services included in program fee
What is not included:
- Pickup from the airport and transport to your placement.
- Food during your placement with a host family / hostel - Nepali standard 2 to 3 meals a day.
- Provisions for the children at our orphanage.
- Sightseeing in Kathmandu valley.
- Comprehensive Pre- Departure Information.
- 24 hrs Assistance and support from HFN Staff.
- NGO government tax.
- Free wireless internet at our office and Orphanage Home in Kathmandu
Apart from the fees, other costs that are to be met by the volunteer are:
For more information and queries please contact us at
- Airfare / travel to Nepal
- Visa and Visa extension fees. Tourist visa fees US$25: for 15 days, US$40 for 30 days US$100 for 90 days. Additional time - US$2 fee per extra day, maximum 150 days stay per year
- Airport taxes (arrival and departure tax)
- Local Transportation
- Any personal expenses
- Any other Donations